December 25, 2017
Baghali Polo | Persian Lamb Shank with Fava Beans Rice Recipe
|Prep Time||15 Minutes|
|Cook Time||3 Hours|
- 2 cups rice
- 1 cup fava beans
- 2 medium lamb shanks
- 1 cup dried dill
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/3 tsp turmeric
- Salt & saffron to your taste
- 2 cardamom
- Wash rice and soak in water with some salt. Let it rest for at least 1 hour.
- Place lamb shanks in a big pot, cover with warm water, and bring to boil.
- Add onion, cinnamon sticks, turmeric and cardamom. Let it cook for about 2 hours. At the end of cooking procedure add salt and some brewed saffron.
- Bring water to boil in another pot and add fava beans. Boil for about 5 minutes. Drain and pour cold water.
- In another pot bring water to boil, drain rice and pour into boiling water, wait for the water to boil again. This may take 6-8 minutes. Drain rice when its hard in the center, do not over cook it.
- Mix fava beans and rice. Add some oil to the pot, pour one layer of rice and spread some dried dill, do this until you finish rice.
- Cook for about 40 minutes. Serve with lamb shack and its gravy.
Filed Under: Main Course, Persian Cuisine
Tags: baghali, baghali polo, cooking with vida, fava beans, lamb shank, mahiche, باقالی پلو, ماهیچه